The warm weather has put me in an inspired mood and so I wanted to share with all of you some of the main reasons why reading to your child EVERYDAY is a MUST. The reasoning below was gathered by some incredibly talented children's book authors. Take a peek at our last article, Visualization & Movement: Important in Literacy & Education, to check out their offerings.
Let's get to it:
1. "When we read to kids, we expose them to different worlds that they haven't yet experienced." - Harriet Beth Carr, Author of A Mindful Walk
2. "Literacy helps kids engage with the world around them. It gives them the foundation to be better thinkers and it makes them more accepting to other's viewpoints." -Victoria J. Hyla, Author of Bartleby The Brave
3. "Reading builds confidence, increases vocabulary and general communication." -Melissa Martin, Author of Conversations with Cooper
4. "Literacy increases empathy and creativity." -Elyssa Nicole Trust, Author of Daisy Moves to America
5. "Reading is crucial for cognitive and social wellbeing." -Karisa Siramarco, Author of Don't Forget Your Mat
6. "It gives children a chance to think critically and for themselves." -Amanda Cottrell, Author of I Am Fearless
7. "When you read to your children it gives you time to connect with them. It's your undivided attention for that child." -Rosie Talley, Author of Linus the Troll
8. "You need literacy for everything. If you need to read a manual to make a meal or move a suitcase, you are using some form of literacy." -Amanda Syryda, Author of Mandi the Clown
9. "Literacy is beyond academic. It helps us to learn emotion and relationships. It sets you up to be a better human." -Ashley Wellman, Author of My Friend Fresno
10. "It affects how they learn and without it creates stumbling blocks that shouldn't be there." -Jacqui Shepherd
11. "Books are windows into your own soul and doors into other worlds." -Meaghan Axel, Author of the Power in Me
12. "It helps them to get to know sight words and the core words that are crucial for school." -Liz Cavanaugh, The Strong Tree
13. "It's applications are unlimited. It gives kids insight in how to deal with situations that they've never dealt with before." -Tia Perkin, Author of Two
14. "Reading is the magic pill for everything. It is a critical foundation point." -Shanita Allen, Author of What is a Dream?
15. "Stories give you special powers." -Anna Smithers, Author of Yogi Superheroes.
There are so many AMAZING benefits to reading to your child every single day... even more than what is listed above. My suggestion... try incorporating movement or action into your storytelling. It adds a layer of fun and engagement and helps children to better retain the information they are receiving.
Stay tuned for our NEW YouTube channel offering coming soooon. Follow us here to stay up to date on our latest videos.
Lots of love,
Looking for a book that already incorporates movement and mindfulness? Check out our new book, A Yoga Adventure Through Space.