7. Begin to turn ONLY your head to look towards the top of your mat, leaving your hips and shoulder as they are.
8. Keep your legs strong and engaged by energetically pulling them in towards each other.
9. Take several breaths while holding this posture, allowing the hips to sink lower with each exhale.
- Surfing: We mentioned this variation in our last pose of the week post, Locust - but now you have the instructions! The stance begins entirely the same, however this time we are going to add some movement into the strength of the pose. Imagine that you are on your surf board riding the waves! Move your hips and shoulders forwards and back, while moving your arms in suit. Ride up the wave in a peaceful warrior, or down the wave in a headless horseman variation.
- Headless Horseman: Begin in your regular Warrior 2 stance. Now take your hands behind your back & interlace your fingers. Turn your hips slightly forwards, and begin to fold forwards towards the inside of your front leg. Your arms will raise up overhead, let gravity pull them down towards the ground. Now you are a headless horseman or headless warrior.
- Peaceful Warrior: Keeping your Warrior 2 legs exactly as they are, begin to lean back as you drop your back hand (with palm facing up) down your back leg and your front hand reaches up towards the sky. There is a tendency to straighten the front leg when we lean back, so be sure to keep your bent knee directly over your ankle.
- Mini Warrior Series: You can use your breath to guide you through a fun warrior series using some of these variations as well. Start in Warrior 2 as your center position, exhale to Peaceful Warrior, inhale back to center, exhale to Headless Horseman, inhale back to center - do this 3-5 times! Maybe even adding in a funny sound for each pose to add in some extra fun.
- Jump and Switch: This is a fun way to make sure you are doing both sides of the body. When you are done taking your 3-5 breaths on one side, say "ready to jump and switch?" Then count down backwards from 3. When you get to 1, jump your back foot forwards and your front foot back. It's a great transition!
- Peaceful Warrior Pals: Come into Warrior 2 and have your pal do the same, but facing the opposite direction (your back feet will need to cross a bit instead of being heel to heel). Link your back arms together, and as you exhale and lean back into Peaceful Warrior reach your front hands up to touch your pal's.
- Warrior Pals: Come into Warrior 2 and have your pal do the same, but this time you want to be facing towards each other. Your front feet will come side by side, and you will bend your knees until they touch. Bring your back hand behind your back and reach your front hand for your partner's back hand (the one that's wrapping around their back). Help each other twist and open the chest!
If you have any other fun variations or ways to connect in Warrior 2, please share them in the comments below! Also, remember to check out our other Pose of the Week shares! The list is building: Locust Pose, Boat Pose, Downward Facing Dog, Seated Forward Fold, & Chair Pose.
Wishing you a beautiful weekend, may it be filled with plenty of love, laughs and fun....Maybe even some Warrior 2 fun!
Stay true! Be bright, be bold, be you <3